Select Your City

for best experience

Automatic transmission: Which to select between Hyundai santro or Wagon R?

Pages : 12
#1 25-Jan, 2007 11:41 AM
ritesh
New Arrival
Joined Date: 25 Jan 2007
I am interested in buying an automatic tranmission car (BTW this will be my first car. ) I am confused which one to go for in B segment where only two choices are available AT variants in Hyundai santro or Wagon R.

If someone alread owns one of these two cars please share your experience. Others your suggestion are also very valuable in my decision making.

Thanks,
Ritesh

0 members liked this post

#2 27-Jan, 2007 10:21 PM
Sunil
New Arrival
Joined Date: 18 Sep 2006

Hi Ritesh,

In Automatic Transmission(AT) Santro sticks out because Santro has 4 speed AT whereas Wagon R has 3 speed AT, also Santro's AT has many other features, and a more successful AT car in its segment. Otherwise there would be tough competition if you take the geared versions of both these cars.

Moreover, if you think u are not good at handling gears or clutch, then u are wrong. Any person with minimal training will be an expert in few weeks to handle a geared car.

Advantages of AT : Ease of driving.

Disadvantages: Very low mileage(7-8 kmpl on road achievable mileage compared to 10-12 kmpl on geared version). AT needs more maintenance and its costlier to maintain, as well as feed it.

#3 08-Feb, 2007 09:56 AM
ritesh
New Arrival
Joined Date: 25 Jan 2007
Thanks Sunil 

#4 10-Sep, 2007 09:29 AM
Vijay Dwivedi
New Arrival
Joined Date: 10 Sep 2007
Hi Guys,
  I also have somewhat similar requirements as Ritesh.
1. Regarding AT, I got some information claiming that AT gives better milage compared to manual gear as it is automatic.
2. Also, if someone goes AT Santro with LPG the economy turns out to be Rs 1 per Kilometer.
Please share your experiences.
Thanks
Vijay

#5 04-Jan, 2010 11:30 AM
Mahesh
New Arrival
Joined Date: 04 Jan 2010

Hi Everybody,

I am person with my left leg affected by Polio. I want to buy a car for my daily commuation to my office. I want to buy economy class car with AT.

Is there any model in Economy Cars with AT?

Does Tata Nano have this AT?

Last Updated: 04-Jan, 2010 11:30 AM, by Mahesh_Rajurkar

#6 04-Jan, 2010 12:25 PM
S Menon
Best-seller
Joined Date: 18 May 2009

THe Santro's AT is much more advanced than the Wagon R's very ancient and basic 3-speeder.  Its not just about the number of gears - it is also about how effeciently the gearbox shifts, the Santro's Auto Box is streets ahead of Marutis.  No contest really, just buy the Santro AT.

PS:  Santro AT gives pretty good mileage, there's just about 1 kmpl or so difference between the manual and the auto.  It is NOT 7-8 kmpl as claimed in an earlier post.

The same autobox does duty in the i10, and my father-in-law still extracts 13-14 kmpl from his i10 AT.

Keep those wheels turning!

#7 04-Jan, 2010 12:52 PM
Manish
Best-seller
Joined Date: 10 Dec 2009

As traffic on our roads increases the automatic transmission in hatchbacks make more sense. All automatic gearboxes sap some amount of power and it becomes critical in small car where excess power and performance reserves are non-existent. Another setback is that most small car automatics are cheaper three-speed units. The santro gearbox doesn't suffer either of these problems being it the modern box it is able to keep up with the traffic provided you keep the accelarator sufficiently towards the floor. No the Tata nano doesnot have the automatic transmission.  The ride quality on both the cars are somewhat the same as you are likely to feel the uneven surfaces or the broken roads very easily beacause as the speed increases you will have to keep up the traffic and thats when the fun starts you will easily make the road map depending on how much broken surface you travelled.

Last Updated: 04-Jan, 2010 12:56 PM, by gentle.giant

#8 10-Aug, 2010 02:50 AM
Robby John
New Arrival
Joined Date: 10 Aug 2010

Hi,

I was looking for information on the Hyundai Santro AT version on the Hyundai motors website. I couldnt find it listed there. Has Hyundai discontinued their Santro AT car? Do any of you have an update about it

Thanks

Last Updated: 10-Aug, 2010 02:57 AM, by Robs

#9 10-Aug, 2010 02:55 AM
Robby John
New Arrival
Joined Date: 10 Aug 2010
Last Updated: 10-Aug, 2010 02:58 AM, by Robs

#10 19-Aug, 2010 06:47 PM
Sudheer Godgeri
New Arrival
Joined Date: 19 Aug 2010

Dear Mahesh,

Since ur left leg is affected - u have two options for Automatic cars:

1) Get any manual transmission car ( ALTO K10 new model is best) that u find ok,

visit Ferro Equip India at Goregaon, who convert manual transmission to semi automatic i.e. u only need ur hand to change gears - one leg for brake/accelerator usage: u never have to use brake and accelerator at same time:  M/s Ferro Equip India also convert brakes/gears etc. onto hand controls, if required and RTO provides license to ONLY THIS FIRM for alteration.

2) Get FULLY AUTOMATIC  from SANTRO, MARUTI, etc.

here u only have to press brake / accelerator - very easy with only one leg. Even a second hand ( BUT dont buy older than 2003/2004 as parts may not available) - I myself use an automatix Maruti 800 (1991 model, believe me cost of service has almost gone upto 40,000 in less than 1 year as car is very old).

U can buy ZEN, ESTEEM ( between 2001 and 2004 model ) , Maruti WagonR (automatic) OR

Santro AT ( automatic on Santro Xing AT, i10 and i20 models).

From what I heard/observed, Santro cars have the least maintenance compared to others.

Prefer single owned car / one that is guaranteed by seller for at least 6 months/1 year with spares and labor, even at higher cost.

Cost of new automatic ( SX4, i10,i20 etc. are all around 7 to 9 lakhs). Honda City AT is said to have most robust Automatic system.

Pages : 12

Ask the Experts

1800 2090 230

(Toll free)